Featured below are some of the important years to remember regarding the development of Quassy Amusement Park.
For more information on Quassy's history as a New England – if not a national - treasure, CLICK HERE.
1905 - Sea wall built at the lakeside property which would become Lake Quassapaug Park (Quassy).
1908 - Trolley line from Waterbury to Middlebury built and Quassy officially becomes a “trolley park.”
1910 - Dance pavilion built by the lake.
1915 - Wallace House on the property burned down and a new dance hall is built.
- Original dance hall is converted into a bathing house for the beach.
1920 - Dancing seven nights a week during what was described as the “golden years” of Quassy.
1925 - Popcorn and root beer stand built.
1927 - Carousel roundhouse built near the dance hall.
1935 - Paddle boats added at the lake.
1937 - Three Waterbury concessionaires, John Frantzis, George Terezakis and Mike Leon purchase Lake Quassapaug Amusement Park from the Connecticut Trolley Company.
1938 - Hot dog stand built.
1939 - Dance hall converted into a roller skating rink.
1940 - Tea Room built.
- It was later converted into the lakeside restaurant.
1941 - Land across the highway donated to the Town of Middlebury for a baseball field.
1948 - Train and Octopus rides added.
1952 - Allan Herschell Kiddieland added.
- Dining Pavilion I (Clam Bake) added.
- Today the pavilion is called the Fieldside Pavilion.
1955 - Twister ride added.
1958 - Helicopter ride added.
1959 - Quassy Queen riverboat ride on the lake added.
- Today a pontoon board takes up to 30 guests on a leisurely ride on Lake Quassapaug.
1960 - The Wild Mouse roller coaster installed.
1964 - Indoor miniature golf replaced roller skating in the big building which once served as the dance hall.
1965 - Trabant ride added.
1966 - New bath house constructed.
1969 - Electric indoor bumper cars replace miniature golf.
1972 - Arcade replaces electric bumper cars.
- Hampton Dune Buggy ride added.
1975 - Giant slide added.
1976 - Saturn Six ride replaces Octopus.
1977 - Tilt-A-Whirl ride added.
1979 - Space Shot and bumper car rides added.
- Dining Pavilion II (Clam Bake) added near the beach.
1982 - Speed pitch added.
1983 - Allan Herschell Monster roller coaster replaces Wild Mouse.
- Hampton Space Age ride added.
- Restaurant totally refurbished.
- New game stand built and batting cages added.
- Quassy celebrates 75th anniversary.
1987 - Mini Himalaya ride added.
1991 - Music Fest ride added.
1997 - Flying Dragon and Paratrooper rides added.
1999 - Anderson family purchases Terezakis family shares in the property.
- Big Flush water coaster added.
2000 - Frog Hopper ride and Titanic slide added.
2003 - Quassy celebrates 95th anniversary.
- Development of waterpark starts with addition of Saturation Station at Quassy Beach. The attraction features water cannons, fountains, slides and a huge dumping bucket.
- Also, the park added The Extreme Zone rock-climbing wall and “air time” adventure.
2004 - Yo-Yo super swing ride added.
2006 - Tunnel Twister waterslides added at Saturation Station.
- New maintenance shop built on north side of the property.
2007 - 1927 carousel roundhouse refurbished during off-season.
- The historic structure is home to a 50-foot, four abreast Grand Carousel.
2008 - Galleon Pirate Ship and Family Fun Slide added.
- Quassy celebrates centennial with big band dance on July 19.
2009 - New main entrance ticket booth opens – reminiscent of “trolley park” heritage at Quassy.
2010 - Free Fall ‘N’ Drop Tower ride added.
- Monster roller coaster sold at end of the season to make room for waterpark expansion.
- Mini Himalaya ride retired.
2011 - Wooden Warrior roller coaster opens.
- Flying Dragon ride retired.
2012 - New family tea cup ride added, called Crazy Cups.
- Quassy Quest Laser Maze added in heart of redemption arcade.
2013 - Bullet Bowl water raft ride to be added to Saturation Station along with body slides and kiddie splash pad area.
- Waterpark rebranded as Splash Away Bay, yet still incorporating all elements of Saturation Station.
- Bathhouse – entrance to beach/waterpark – completely refurbished.
2014 - New group sales and season pass office built near main ticket booth.
- Quassy restaurant refurbished with large food preparation area added.
- Restrooms near park entrance totally refurbished.
2015 - FRANTIC thrill ride and kiddie bumper cars added.
- New train station opens over platform for Quassy Express.
- Trabant ride retired at end of the season.
2016 - Slide City, new five-slide children’s complex, opens in Splash Away Bay.
- Reverse Time, new spectacular family thrill ride, replaces the Trabant.
- New maintenance building completed, bringing to two the number of new structures for safety and maintenance team.
- Spaceport Quassy, remodeled and themed play port area for youngsters, completed.
- Allan Herschell kiddie boat ride refurbished.
- Eagle’s Nest Observation Deck added adjacent to Wooden Warrior roller coaster.
2017 - Bella & Bessie’s Sweet Shoppe & Pizzeria open on the site of the former popcorn stand.
- A new SBF/Visa Mini Jet titled Skipper’s Clippers and a Zamperla Samba Balloon ride called Up, Up & Away replaced the lakeside Hampton Umbrella rides.
- The Quassy Quest Laser Maze also received an upgrade with the addition of the Beam Busters® element.
2018 - Category 5 Rapids – Extreme Waterslides added to Splash Away Bay waterpark in the largest investment in the park’s history.
- Splash Away Bay Café constructed overlooking Quassy Beach with upper deck seating.
- Yo-Yo Super Swing ride completely refurbished including state-of-the-art LED lighting system.
2019 - Bouncing Buggies family ride replaces the children’s playport.
2020 - Tidal Wave swinging ship replaces the Galleon Pirate.